The Highlands Firefighters Association was registered as a society officially on March 1, 1994. Volunteers automatically become voting members of the Highlands Firefighters Association after passing their probationary test. Not only do volunteers give freely of their time for training and responding to emergencies, they also donate their efforts, through the Firefighters Association, to raising funds for muscular dystrophy and firefighting equipment and to organizing community events.
- Community events sponsored by the Association include an annual Halloween party at the Community Hall and the Santa Run, which brings Santa via fire truck to visit children of all ages throughout the district.
- Every year our firefighters ride in the Santa Fire Truck Parade at the Westshore Town Centre, raising public awareness of Western Communities fire fighters and strengthening relationships with other departments.
- Members help organize the annual Highlands Safety Fair, which is sponsored by the Fire Department, provide first aid at public events such as this summer's Millennium Fair, and do maintenance work on the fire halls.
- An annual event is the Elaine Stone Community Award in which persons in the community are nominated based on their community involvement. The Firefighters Association votes and presents the award at the annual banquet.
Past Society Officers
- 1994: President - Reg Young, Vice President - Michael Kristiansen, Secretary - Al Adams, Treasurer - Shawn Creamer, Caneen Manger - Nick Humphreys
- 1995: President - Michael Kristiansen, Vice President, Paul Reynolds, Secretary - Pete Nelson, Treasurer - Nick Humphreys, Director - Ann King