Intermunicipal Business Licences

You do not require a business licence in the District of Highlands.  Although the District (along with the 12 other local participating municipalities) issues an Intermunicipal Business Licence. This licence is issued to specified contractors and service providers that operate their business withing the Capital Regional District.  This licence permits a business to operate within all thirteen participating municipalities without having to purchase a licence in each individual municipality. 

What is the fee for an Intermunicipal Business Licence?
The annual fee for an Intermunicipal Business Licence is $100.  Payment of the licence fee is due prior to the licence being issued.  Cash, cheque or interact are accepted at the District Office. 

When is the annual renewal of my licence due?
All businesses must renew their business licences by January 1st of each year by remitting the annual licence fees.  Invoices are mailed to businesses the first week of December.  Unpaid licences are subject to fines.

The District does have Home-based Business Regulations in its Zoning Bylaw?
Home-based businesses are permitted in the district.  These businesses must conform to the home-based business regulations contained in the District of Highlands Zoning Bylaw.  A home-based business should not have a negative impact on the neighbourhood.  These regulations allow you to operate from home and also protect the neighbourhood from disruptive activities which would be better suited in commercial premises.

What is OneStop Business Registration?
OneStop Business Registration is an easy way to start your business and get registered with multiple agencies.

After your name search is done you can register on the Web at No longer do you have to visit multiple locations to get your business started. You can apply for a Municipal Business Licence; register with Canada Revenue Agency for GST, payroll deductions, corporate income tax and import/export accounts; register a Proprietorship or Partnership; register as a vendor for the Provincial Sales Tax; and register as an employer with the Workers' Compensation Board, and apply for Personal Optional Protection with the WCB. You control whom you register with, it's an easy OneStop process.

Important Resources

Contact Us

  1. District of Highlands
    1980 Millstream Road
    Victoria, BC  V9B 6H1
    Ph: 250-474-1773   Fx: 250-474-3677
    Hours:  8:30am - 4:00pm

Useful Links

Be Informed

Using this Site

Arrow Left Arrow Right
Slideshow Left Arrow Slideshow Right Arrow